Support Homeless Residents in Mesa County! Write a letter!
Show your support for our local homeless citizens by encouraging City Council Members and County Commissioners to press forward in a positive direction on behalf of our homeless neighbors in the Grand Valley. Showing your support in a written letter is the best way to get their attention though you are welcome to e-mail your letters as well. Create your own letter of support. If you choose, you may use some of the ideas below and give personal examples. Below you will find a listing of city and county officials to which you may send your letter or email, as well.
1. Remember the limitations we have in changing many problems such as
A. Poverty and Illness
B. Wars and Conflicts
C. Displaced Populations
D. Our own personal and family issues that are ongoing challenges
2. Remember that there are problems that do have a solution such as
A. Homelessness in our own community
B. Homelessness has been successfully addressed in Salt Lake City, Charlotte, North Carolina and many cities and small towns throughout the country
C. The costs of special care to those living on the streets far exceeds the cost of housing the homeless
D. We know that the people in Grand Junction want to help the homeless because they already do. They also want to see our City and County government do so.
3. What is needed? Housing
A. Affordable housing
1. In Colorado, a minimum wage worker has to work 88 hours a week in order to afford a
two bedroom apartment while paying the fair market value rent of 30% of your income.
2. The working homeless in Grand Junction do not make a living wage.
B. Special Housing Options Are Needed
1. Homeless men and women with limited resources need Permanent Supportive Housing
2. Those with ongoing sobriety challenges also need housing
3. Housing First, harm reduction models can successfully house those with addiction
4. There is a housing gap for those in our community who have served their time and are
4. Letter writing does impact the opinions of our elected officials. They want to know what you think.
THE FOLLOWING CONTACTS ARE CURRENT AS OF JANUARY 1, 2016:
Grand Junction City Council
You may leave a message on the City Council voice mailbox at 970-244-1504. To better serve you, City Council encourages you to leave contact information if you do leave a voicemail message. The City Hall address is 250 North 5thStreet in Grand Junction, CO 81501
- Mayor Phyllis Norris, District A email@example.com
- Mayor Pro Tem Marty Chazen, District D firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilmember Barbara Traylor Smith, District B email@example.com
- Councilmember Bennett Boeschenstein, District C firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilmember Duncan L. McArthur, District E email@example.com
- Councilmember Chris Kennedy, District At Large firstname.lastname@example.org
- Councilmember Rick Taggart, District At Large email@example.com
Grand Junction City Attorney
There are a number of employees in the City Planning Department. They ask that you contact them by calling 244.1430 or emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mesa County Board of Commissioners
Mail may be sent to P.O. Box 20,000 Grand Junction, CO 81502-5010 County Officers are located at 544 Rood Avenue. Their fax number is 970.244.1639.
- District 1 John Justman 970.244.1605 email@example.com
- District 2 Scott McInnis 970.244.1604 firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 3 Rose Pugliese 970.244.1606 email@example.com